South Korea is one of the most rapidly emerging 1st world countries of the Eastern world. With a highly developed economy, the world’s fastest internet connection, an incredible transport system, and an urban playground like no other, South Korea offers an endless supply of opportunities to young professionals from the Western world.
Teaching English in South Korea offers incredibly generous benefits including:
- High salaries of between 1900 and 2500 USD per month in your first year of teaching
- Free airfare to South Korea paid for by your school
- Free accommodation year-round
- Bonus severance pay after 12 months of teaching – English teachers are given a free 13th pay cheque when completing their 12th month of teaching
- A vast and vibrant expat community of both English teachers and those working in other employment fields in South Korea
- Holidays to travel and explore the country and the rest of Asia
What are the requirements for becoming an English teacher in South Korea?
- At least 21 years of age
- Bachelor degree holder in any field of study
- 1st language English speaker – must be a fluent native English speaker
- One must first complete TravelBud’s 120-hour online South Korean TESOL course as well as the online South Korean Cultural Foundation course to prepare teachers for living and working in Korea. If you already have a TESOL/TEFL qualification, we will need to review it with our job placement team prior to accepting it
- Job contracts are for a minimum of 12 months at South Korean schools
- South Korean schools only accept foreign English teachers who are passport holders from the following countries: United States, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Ireland
Job application process
The job application process works slightly differently in South Korea to other Teach Abroad programs in Asia such as our Teach in Thailand program.
- The entire job application takes place in your home country of residence making it possible to continue working and saving up prior to departing for South Korea for your job placement.
- Because it takes place in your home country of residence, interviews and meetings are arranged over Skype and email facilitated by our job placement team stationed in South Korea.
- The 120-hour TESOL training course takes place at the start of the job application process and takes 4 weeks to complete. This is done online in your home country of residence.
- The job application process takes a minimum of 3 months from the point of beginning your TESOL training to the point of receiving your job contract from a reputable school in South Korea. This can however take slightly longer depending on the applicant’s qualifications and how well the interviews go. Applicants are encouraged to be punctual when replying to emails and make themselves available for Skype meetings and interviews at all times.
Job placements are throughout South Korea. The majority of job placements do tend to be in and around the capital city, Seoul, as there is a higher demand here however one can also find teaching job placements in other towns and cities throughout the country.
Our job placement team have a strong long-lasting relationship with all of the most reputable schools throughout the country and will do their best to place you at a school which suits your needs and character best.
Our job placement team are stationed in South Korea and provide all English teachers with 24/7 support and assistance should one need any help or advice when living and teaching in South Korea.
How to apply
- Those wanting to apply for our Teach in South Korea program can do so here
- Applications are completely free of charge and we will be in touch with you within 24 hours of submitting your application to inform you of your acceptance or lack thereof onto the program
- If accepted, you will receive a complete breakdown of the program and overall experience over email and telephone. You will also be sent detailed information packs explaining the program in full
- Program fees only need to be paid once you have decided to begin the job application process and TESOL training
The opportunity is out there – go seize it!
With English learning high in demand in South Korea, there is an endless need for foreign English teachers. Apply today and change the life of a South Korean child forever. The opportunity is out there – go seize it!