Volunteer Teach & Community Support In Zanzibar
Do you want to find out more about this volunteering experience? Fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you!
Highlights of this experience
You’ll help provide education support to children, young adults and women within the community
Assist in improving educational facilities within the community to help improve the learning environment for the children in the village
Help make creative and exciting learning methods and sports games for nursery school kids
Live like a local and immerse yourself in this welcoming beach community
You’ll have a chance to try a new language and learn Swahili!
Immerse yourself in a rural village on the African island of Zanzibar, located just off the coast of Tanzania in the Indian Ocean.
Get away from the bustling sounds of the city and find yourself surrounded by endless palm trees and dolphins in the village of Jambiani.
You will wake up to the most spectacular sunrises on the beach, enjoy amazing local meals and live and work near a seaside fishing village.
On weekends you can find yourself fully immersed in a rich mix of cultures at the 300-year-old city of Stone Town, just a short drive away from your beach-side house.
Jambiani certainly gives you a sense of belonging no matter who you are or where you come from. The locals greet you with a smile at every corner – it is the perfect place to explore the local village lifestyle and work with like-minded individuals while volunteering.
- Waking up to white sandy beaches and turquoise blue waters, this location gives you a true sense of paradise.
- Each shared room has its own en suite bathroom with a balcony and view overlooking the Indian Ocean.
- Our program coordinators will share the accommodation with you and will be available to offer you all the support you may need while on the program.
- We also have a team of experienced local chefs who will cook and prepare your meals daily.
Impact & Focus Areas
Why does this program exist and what will I be doing?
These are important questions you should ask yourself when considering volunteering abroad.
The main focus areas of this program are teaching English and crucial life skills to young children between the ages of 3 to 6 as well as young adults, supporting the local women through various empowerment initiatives, raising environmental awareness, and developing the Educational Center which has been built to grow the success and impact of this program
All of these areas align with our goal of developing and uplifting the local community so they can one day live in a self-sustainable and educated environment.
Teaching English to children
As a volunteer, you’ll be working with local teachers to come up with the most fun and creative ways of educating young scholars.
You’ll teach them arts and crafts and valuable English language skills.
Teaching Young Adults
In Zanzibar, tourism is known to provide the best form of employment, so at our newly built Education Center we provide young adults and members of the community with the opportunity to gain the ability to converse and more fully comprehend the English language, which in turn provides a better chance at gaining employment in the tourism-dominated local economy.
One of the main focus areas of this program is the empowerment of local women. As a volunteer, you will be joining a women’s group once a week to help teach them English, health, finances as well as basic skills to help empower them to be more independent through creating crafts which are sold to tourists, and thus give them a source of income.
Environment Awareness and Community Development
In addition to the main focuses of the program listed above, you will also be involved in various other community development and environmental awareness initiatives which can range from teaching the community on the harmful effects of littering, participating in beach cleanups, improving community facilities through repairing school buildings, healthcare workshops, and more.
These initiatives are led by community members and are prioritized according to the biggest needs of the local community at the time.
The opportunities available through volunteering in Zanzibar are twofold. You will be able to fully immerse yourself in the culture as you give back to the community and, during your time off on weekends, you’ll be able to relax and explore the riches this beautiful island has to offer.
Jambiani boasts warm turquoise waters and whites sands. This fishing village has evolved over the years and is now surrounded by bars, cafes, and fresh seafood restaurants. If you feel more adventurous there are options of kite-surfing and snorkeling the coral reefs and scuba diving.
Tanzania also offers some of the best hiking and safari opportunities anywhere in the world. From Zanzibar, you can fly directly to Arusha, the gateway to many of these experiences. Alternatively, you can hop on a ferry into the Tanzanian capital, Dar es Salaam, on the mainland where you’ll have a bunch more options.
While in Tanzania, you can choose between a variety of travel experiences:
- A 5/7 day trek to the roof of Africa – Kilimanjaro
- Safari in the Ngorongoro Crater
- Safari in the Serengeti National Park to see the world-famous great migration
- Visit the breathtaking Mnemba island from Zanzibar
- A Stone Town and Spice Orchard tour on Zanzibar
We understand it’s hard to take this all in.
With TravelBud, you’ll always be talking to someone who has taught or volunteered abroad before, so you’ll get informed, first-hand advice to guide and prepare you for your experience.
Dates & Costs
Change to your currency. Default prices in US Dollar (USD). Please take note that the amount reflected above is based on the current exchange rate and may fluctuate due to exchange rate volatility on the day of being invoiced.
DurationWe recommend spending a minimum of 4 weeks to fully explore and experience all the program has to offer.
Program CostsThe fees below includes a $500 enrollment fee which secures your spot on the program.
The remaining balance is due 8 weeks prior to your chosen start date
We have intake dates running generally twice a month for this program but with limited availability on each intake and the popularity of this program, they can fill up well in advance.
It’s best to speak to our Enrollments Team about intake availability and reserve your spot on the program sooner than later.
|Intake Date||Can I still apply?|
|20 May 2019||Intake OPEN|
|03 June 2019||Intake OPEN|
|17 June 2019||Intake OPEN|
|01 July 2019||Intake CLOSED - SOLD OUT|
|22 July 2019||Intake OPEN - ALMOST FULL|
|29 July 2019||Intake OPEN - ALMOST FULL|
|05 August 2019||Intake OPEN|
|12 August 2019||Intake OPEN|
|19 August 2019||Intake OPEN|
|26 August 2019||Intake OPEN|
|09 September 2019||Intake OPEN|
|23 September 2019||Intake OPEN|
|07 October 2019||Intake OPEN|
|21 October 2019||Intake OPEN|
|04 November 2019||Intake OPEN|
|18 November 2019||Intake OPEN|
|02 December 2019||Intake OPEN (only 2 week option available as project closes December 16 for Christmas)|
- Airport pickup and dropoff from Zanzibar Airport, ferry port or hotel in Stone Town
- Transport to program activities
- Accommodation at our beachfront volunteer house for the duration of your stay
- 3 meals per day cooked by our local in-house chefs (Monday to Friday only)
- Thorough pre-departure support
- 24/7 in-country support and 24/7 emergency contact number
- All training relevant to this program
- Welcome meeting on arrival and program orientation
- Certificate of completion
What’s not included?
- Meals on weekends
- Travel insurance (we have great partners who can assist with the best insurance cover for your trip)
- All personal items and toiletries
- Criminal background check
Support & Safety
Moving to another country to live and work is a big step and we realize that safety can be a concern. Zanzibar is generally a safe place to travel but is it advisable to always be cautious and keep an eye on your belongings in busy areas.
Our organization prides itself on health, safety, and security. Upon arrival, you will receive extensive safety briefing regarding the do’s and don’ts of the local area. Our coordinators are there to provide you with 24/7 support given the fact that they live and work with you.
TravelBud’s savvy safety tips:
- A safe will be provided on base for you to store passports and important belongings.
- Buddy systems are great when exploring.
- You are located along the coastline so do not wander around alone at night
- Hidden pockets and belt-bags are a must-have when keeping your valuables safe.
- Hydration is of utmost importance so, keep those water bottles filled and close by.
- Remember you are a guest within the local village. Please be cautious, calm and collected at all times.
- Be an active listener towards staff and be mindful of the cultural sensitivities and customs of the locals.
- Be wary of the harsh African sun! Use sunscreen and wear a wide-brimmed hat daily.
- Make sure your in-country coordinators are aware of your whereabouts and keep emergency numbers at hand.
- Our Support team will share many more tips and advice to help you feel prepared for the experience of a lifetime that awaits you on this program.
Testimonials & Reviews
Why Volunteer with TravelBud?
It can be scary and intimidating traveling to a foreign country and the complex documentation and requirements can be overwhelming and confusing.
With TravelBud, you’ll always be talking to someone who has volunteered abroad before, so you’ll get informed, first-hand advice to guide and prepare you for your experience.
Pre-departure supportOur support managers will assist with all planning, packing, visas, costs, documentation, booking flights and answering any questions you might have.
24/7 In-country supportOur in-country partners will be available for the duration of your volunteering experience. If you need any assistance or advice, or in the event of an emergency, we’ll be on hand!
Volunteering placement guaranteed
Destination and program orientation
Certificate of completion
Accommodation, transport and spending moneyChat to our enrollment coordinators for more specific details about budgeting.
Knowledge and adviceOur enrollment coordinators have volunteered abroad and have first-hand insights on our volunteer abroad destinations and programs.
Airport pickupSo you don't have to worry about getting to your accommodation.
Flight and Visa assistance
Travel insuranceWe'll assist you with the additional purchase of your travel insurance via our insurance partners.
We’re Here to Help
We’ll answer all your questions and guide you every step of the way!